The word “cancer” has a long history and is of Indo-European origin. Its root means “to scratch.” The symbol for Cancer was once thought to be a scarab beetle in ancient Egypt and a turtle in Mesopotamia. In each instance, the sign’s animal representation was seen to be “pushing” the sun across the sky to mark the start of the summer solstice.
The word “crab” is derived from the Latin word cancer. The Karkinos (Greek: “Cancer”), a crab that Hercules crushed under his foot and whose remains were deposited in the sky by Hera to form the Cancer constellation, is said to be the inspiration for the symbol of Cancer, which is sometimes a crab but occasionally a lobster. The crab is placed in the sky by Juno, Hera’s Roman mythological counterpart, in Romanized versions of the tale. The astrologer Juno elevated the crab after Hercules crushed it for pinching his toes during a struggle with the Hydra in the Marsh of Lerna, according to naturalist Richard Hinckley Allen, who called Cancer the “most inconspicuous figure in the zodiac” in 1899.
Who are those born under the sign of Cancer?
June 21 through July 22
The crab symbolizes Cancer, the fourth sign of the zodiac. They are primarily recognized for being sensitive, emotional, nurturing, very intuitive, and occasionally insecure. Water is their elemental sign, as it is for Pisces and Scorpio, which makes sense given the depths of emotion that these signs are known for.
Because of their relationship to the moon phases, Cancers are often described as “crabby.” Although they wear their hearts on their sleeves, they also have a spectrum of emotions going on within that can occasionally make them look too sentimental or melancholy.
Cancers are known to retreat into their “shells” just like real crabs do, and they feel most at ease at home with their loved ones. They tend to be more reclusive, favoring close relationships with a select few people over engaging in large-scale social interactions, which can quickly overwhelm the Crab.
Cancers despise small conversation and might be a challenge to approach at first, but once you get to know them, they’ll be your devoted companion for life.
Is the sign of Cancer a potent one?
Cancer is well renowned for their ability to nurture and care for other people. Cancers are sensitive empaths, but their devotion to love makes them extremely powerful. In that sense, according to astrologer Ryan Marquardt, it is the “mother” of the zodiac.
How harmful are cancers?
Cancer’s poisonous quality is jealousy When they are in love, the Crabs are very possessive. They will pinch and cling on to someone fiercely when they care about them. Cancerians want unconditional love in exchange for undivided attention. And some people struggle under pressure.
Can cancers think?
Every sign of the zodiac has appealing qualities, whether you are an assertive Aries or a kind Cancer. These astrological calculations can even forecast your health and romantic compatibility. But which sign has the most brains when it comes to intelligence?
Astrologers claim that Scorpio and Aquarius are actually tied for the title of smartest Zodiac sign, but for quite different reasons. According to tests of cognitive aptitude and IQ, people who were born under the Aquarius sign have the greatest levels of analytical intelligence. Scorpios, on the other hand, are more acute thinkers and excel at evaluating and comprehending the big picture.
Other zodiac signs are intelligent in their own ways, though, so this is not to mean they are all liars. Neil Crabtree, an astrologer at the Mayo School of Astrology, asserts that Geminis and Libras are also quite intelligent. The most emotionally intelligent signs are Cancer and Pisces, which means they are excellent at perceiving and understanding both their own and other people’s emotions.
The earth signs, however, such as Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn, exhibit practical intellect. Additionally, the fire signs (Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius) have the strongest intuitive tendencies, which makes them more likely to take chances and assume leadership roles.
Cancers are hot?
Cancer might not be as flamboyant as a Leo, radiate sensuality like a Scorpio, or have the charm to charm their way into someone’s heart (or bed) like a Gemini. But you are the sign that can instantly put folks at rest just by being there. You are empathetic, sensitive, and acutely aware of those around you. You know how to prepare a delectable meal, and your home is always cozy and welcoming. Overall, you’re perfect for long-term relationships. Although you tend to be a bit reserved, the three zodiac signs that are most drawn to Cancer would love nothing more than to help you come out of your shell.
Semos claims that Cancer represents the “divine feminine energies”our ideals and emotionsthat are present in everyone of us. A cozy home and a close relationship with family are highly important to Cancer. As a result, they go out of their way to ensure that everybody they let into their inner circle is taken care of. This could entail being one of the few individuals who can truly uncover what’s troubling someone in the first place, Semos adds. “This might include cooking comfortable meals in their cozy-decorated house, holding emotional space for someone to grieve on their shoulder.
People have a tendency to gravitate toward cancers because they have an innately kind and welcoming energy. But according to Semos, these are the three zodiac signs that are most drawn to Cancer.
Are cancers uncommon?
According to the National Cancer Institute, rare cancer is cancer that affects fewer than 15 people out of every 100,000 annually. The majority of cancer types are regarded as rare, and they are frequently more challenging to avoid, identify, and cure than cancers that are more prevalent. Research is challenging because there aren’t as many cases.
Are cancers attractive?
Cancerians are incredibly caring and compassionate. You want this star sign in your corner because no other sign possesses the emotional intelligence and real grasp of human nature needed to help people feel better and stronger. They are also clever, witty, vibrant, and fascinating. Cancerians are appealing due to:
- Their quicksilver emotional states make life rarely dull, and you never quite know which “mood” you’ll find them in.
- They have lovely eyes. The eyes of a Cancerian are deep, perceptive, and wise.
- They smile beautifully. When someone is genuinely joyful or satisfied, it can brighten the space.
Who gets on best with Cancer?
Because they tend to be physically alluring, humorous, clever, and passionate about sex, Cancerians frequently have a long list of fans. Since the Cancerian sign’s main skill is ‘pulling’ socially, online dating was a setback for them, but hey, times change.
Pisces, Cancer, and Scorpio get along well and make terrific friends and partners because they are all members of the Water sign brigade who can handle each other’s complex personalities and pathological desire for close relationships.
Capricorn is the sign for steamy sex for Cancer. The crab and the sea goat constitute an intriguing pairing since Cappy is all business and practical while Cancer is all artistic and emotional. It’s true that opposites attract in this situation. Both discover in the other what they feel they are missing, which sparks intense excitement and awe.
Cancer turn ons
- Verbal sex. That is the sexual activity that your sign is linked to. Exchange and receipt. You’ve got some talent; perhaps you might share some knowledge with the rest of us.
- Secrets. Oh, the JOY when someone cries a little and says, “I’ve never told anyone else anything but…,” to you. It sounds wonderful to a Cancerian! You enjoy having insider access to and knowledge about other people’s affairs. You are a reliable confidant who can handle even the spiciest of tea.
- No other sign, not even Leo, has such a voracious thirst for compassion, protection, pampering, and sympathy. You enjoy being taken care of, perhaps even a little “babied.” In your domain, brilliant knights are welcome.
Cancer turn offs
- People who completely rely on their reason, logic, or intelligence; who base everything on what is real, established, verifiable, or scientifically feasible. UGH. Where are they from the heart? You value intuition and gut instinct since you are both a “feeler” and a thinker.
- Disagreement. Now, please bear with me. I understand that you, like the rest of us, must put up with people not doing what you want, etc., but when someone questions your feelings or something that happened to you specifically, it physically BURNS. You find it difficult to understand how someone might reject your ideas or opinions. Any suggestion that your own motives or sentiments are being questioned may cause you to freeze that individual out.
Has a cancer got a bad side?
Gemini has a keen interest in learning new things. With practically anyone, they can strike up a discussion. At the same time, they could find it challenging to focus on one task and finish what they start. They may be prone to gossip since they have a flair for gab. They enjoy telling interesting tales!
It’s possible to view cancer’s reputation for moodiness as its dark side. However, Cancer’s sporadic mood swings are caused by a lack of self-care. The nurturer of the zodiac, Cancer is known for looking after the people they care about. However, Cancer can experience exhaustion or even resentment if they don’t take care of themselves.
Are cancers amusing?
Your significant other is a Cancer, a sign of the water element known for their incredibly loving nature, if they were born between June 21 and July 22. No matter what sign you are, there are 11 factors that will make dating a Cancer enjoyable and rewarding.
1. They feel obligated to look after the individuals they care about. The natural-born “moms” of the zodiac, Cancers are ruled by the moon, which in astrology is associated with maternal energy and emotional energy. Their natural tendency is to bring happiness, comfort, and care to those who are closest to them. But be carefulif they feel ignored, they may become extremely irritable.
2. They appreciate fine dining. Your Cancer may prepare a challenging, exquisite dish they saw on Top Chef to show you how much they value you. Or perhaps they have a knack for picking out eateries and the ideal bottle of wine to go with the dinner. In either case, compliment the experience and watch their cute pride grow.
3. Sexual encounters without restrictions are OK, but they are more likely to last if there is an emotional bond. Cancers are flirty and charming, therefore they can definitely be players. They do, however, bring the romance into bed once they’ve committed to a relationship. Sexual activity must ultimately be emotionally satisfying to keep a Cancer interested.
4. They value families. There is a reason why Khlo Kardashian, who has cancer, so closely resembles the classic Godfather slogan “Never go against the family,” The crab prioritizes its family, especially their mother (see number 1), above pretty much anything else. (This also applies to their BFFs, whom they essentially view as siblings.) They enjoy spending time with children and, if they aren’t already, can clearly picture themselves as a parent.
5. Don’t anticipate them to be ambiguous. Okay, I realize that this seems somewhat illogical given that Cancer is a water sign. Crabs are one of the four cardinal signs of the zodiac, making them ambitious and action-oriented. Once they’ve made up their minds about anything, such as landing a killer job or getting you into bed tonight, they’ll go after it with all of their might. Hot.
6. They’ll sexily catch you off guard. They’ll bring out a couple’s vibrator or lead you into the shower just as you thought you were in for a typical, between-the-sheets bang. They will feel comfortable changing things up in bed as long as they feel secure with you. You’re lucky.
7. They have a variety of sentimental tendencies. Be prepared for Cancers to become quite emotional at seemingly insignificant events, such as a particularly adorable #TBT or an Ed Sheeran song that brings back memories of the night you two first met. Depending on your preferences, this may make you say “aww” as easily as “ew.” But watch out: They could become a little aloof if they see that their partner isn’t being very understanding.
9. They always try to save money. They are known for being rather frugal since they place such a high value on security. They won’t be above searching for a coupon code on their phone at the grocery store, for example. Therefore, once you’re serious, try suggesting that you open a joint savings account and watch them light up.
They’re frickin’ funny, number 10. There is a reason why many comedians are Cancers, including Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart, and Sofia Vergara. Because of their innate sense of humor and emotional intelligence, they are experts at making fun of the all-too-real aspects of daily life. Of course, they may also be a little quirky and silly at times, which makes them even cuter.
11. You won’t be able to conceal your true feelings. Cancers are extremely perceptive when it comes to other people’s feelings in addition to their own. Their natural tendency is to feel compassion for those who are suffering. You will therefore feel tremendously supported if you don’t mind doing a lot of sharing.
What are the cancer’s flaws?
Due to their extreme sensitivity, cancers frequently end up misinterpreting others’ words or actions or taking things personally. A Cancer should be honest about their sentiments rather than internalizing them and drawing conclusions because even the smallest changes in someone’s energy could make them anxious.