The 78 cards in a tarot deck are split into two groups: the major arcana (great mysteries) and the minor arcana (meaning minor mysteries).
There are 22 primary arcana cards, and they typically address important life milestones and broad issues like love, relationships, and work.
There are 56 cards in the minor arcana. These typically address more trivial problems and little inconveniences, such as transient feelings and circumstances. The four suits of minor arcana cards are cups, wands, swords, and pentacles. There are four court cards and numbered cards from 1 to 10 in each suit (page, knight, king and queen).
How many tarot cards are allowed?
The major arcana, which contains 22 cards and is also known as the trumps, and the minor arcana, which has 56 cards, make up the 78 cards that make up this deck. Moon, card number 18 in the major arcana.
In how many decks does a tarot reading take place?
These were the earliest type of tarot cards ever created; they were created in northern Italy in the 15th century. There are still three decks in this category that are used to play some games:
- The 78 cards of the Tarocco Piemontese are divided into the four suits of swords, batons, cups, and coins, each of which is headed by a king, queen, cavalier, and jack. In most games, Trump 20 outranks Trump 21, and the Fool, although not being a trump, is numbered 0.
- The Pope, Popess, and Angel are all replaced with Jupiter, Juno, and the Judgement, respectively, in the Swiss 1JJ Tarot. The Tower is referred to as the House of God, and the trumps are ranked numerically. In contrast to the Tarocco Piemontese, the cards are not reversible.
- The Tarocco Bolognese contains somewhat different trumps, none of which are numbered and four of which are equal in rank. It also omits the numeral cards two through five in plain suits, leaving it with 62 cards. Since it wasn’t based on the Tarot of Marseilles, it has a different graphic style than the two cards mentioned above.
How many tarot cards are you able to draw each day?
To summon the spirits that can assist you in developing your intuition, light a white candle. Setting the mood for the tarot reading with an invocation is a terrific idea. Ask your spirit guides to provide you with the light, insight, clarity, and truth you need to interpret the tarot pull. In order to be present for the tarot revelation, center and ground your energy.
Consider the inquiry you want addressed today. Pose open-ended inquiries that the cards can respond to and clarify. Tarot can provide “yes” or “no” answers, but in order to do so, one must thoroughly understand the symbolism of the cards. Asking a query that the card’s meaning can address can result in more accurate answers for a routine daily tarot pull. (For instance, query, “How will the test be conducted? omit asking, “Will I ace the test? During the daily pull, only posit one query. The spirits may grow angry with you and your cards, which will lead to unreliable results. Don’t ask for too much and run out of cards. They’ll give you odd responses, so you’ll know when this is the case.
begin dealing the cards. It is beneficial to think about the question you want to pose as you shuffle. Any method of shuffling is acceptable! After shuffling, some people choose to lay the cards out and choose a card that speaks to them. Others enjoy rubbing their hands through the deck to sense the energy of the cards. Take a card out of the deck when you discover one that exudes strength or energy.
One, two, or three cards may be drawn at once. To describe a complete story, I like to use three pulls. Because each card has a different meaning for each of us, the connection you feel with it will help you understand the information being displayed to you. Consider your knowledge as the brushstrokes of a painter and yourself as the canvas. Depending on how you relate to the cards, you can tell whatever story you desire.
Can you only get so many Tarot readings?
Sincerely, the nicest aspect of tarot is that you may ask the cards ANYTHING. No question is too illogical for the tarot, and even better, there is no criticism. There are countless problems that tarot may help you understand and resolve. I personally steer clear of health-related inquiries as a tarot reader because I think a doctor would be a better resource for those, but I welcome every other subject. All of the solutions are already available and readyyou simply need to find them. Here’s what to do if you’re using tarot to make significant decisions in your life or simply to help you choose what TV show to binge-watch next.
What tarot card has the most influence?
The Fool is typically seen as a card from the Major Arcana when performing a tarot reading. Contrary to popular belief, the Fool does not fall under either category in tarot card games. Instead, the Fool serves a function that is distinct from both the simple suit cards and the trump cards. As a result, the Fool has no number assigned to it in the majority of tarot decks that were initially created for playing games. Although Waite assigns the Fool the number 0, in his book, the Fool is discussed between Judgment (number 20) and The World (number 21). The Tarocco Piemontese is the only traditional game deck that numbers the Fool 0. Since the 1930s, the corner index for the Fool in Tarot Nouveau decks has frequently been a black inverted mullet. The Fool is one of the most expensive cards in practically all tarot games.
Does the tarot card order matter?
Because so many subsequent cards drew inspiration from its iconic artwork, the Rider-Waite Tarot Deck is an excellent starting deck. The deck is referenced in practical tarot publications like 78 Degrees of Wisdom as well. Start with the Rider-Waite deck and then add more decks that speak to you to your collection. Although it is available online, you are welcome to visit your neighborhood occult shop to see what appeals to you there.
How should my tarot deck be cleaned?
While rearranging the cards in the tarot deck is a good approach to purify and clear their energy, there are some circumstances in which you might wish to perform a more specialized ritual. If you’re just getting started with tarot, cleaning your deck can be an excellent place to start.
You might want to clean your tarot deck for a variety of reasons, including:
- beginning with a fresh deck
- readings for other people
- You think you need to recharge.
- Your card readings seem a touch “odd” or “disconnected”
- Your deck hasn’t been used recently.
- Your deck has been handled by others
- You think you’ve been utilizing your deck a lot. A LOT, especially for books with strong emotional content
Why should you cleanse or clear your tarot deck?
Tarot deck cleansing helps keep the energy flowing between you and your deck. Consider it as a little spiritual hygiene to maintain a strong and clear connection. It’s not necessary, but if you have any of the aforementioned symptoms, try a few of the energetic cleansing techniques listed below and note which ones seem to work the best for you.
How often should you cleanse your tarot deck?
This is another way of stating USE YOUR INTUITION: there are no hard and fast laws. Don’t stress if you don’t believe it is necessary for your deck. Alternately, if you like to cleanse them once per week or once per month, that’s great. If it feels appropriate to you, you can even place your favorite crystal on the balcony each night.
If you frequently place crystals on your deck and store it on an altar while not in use, you might not feel the need to cleanse it frequently because this quick ritual will likely be sufficient to keep your deck feeling nice.
There are numerous ways to cleanse your cards, just as there are numerous reasons why you might desire to do so.
Different ways to cleanse your tarot deck
Use holy smoke. Light a dried rosemary, lavender, cedar, sage, or palo santo cleansing wand until it begins to smoke. Hold the smoke a safe distance below the deck while holding the burning herbs in one hand and the deck in the other so that the smoke drifts upward onto the cards. Turn the deck so that the smoke covers it from all angles. Next, safely put your deck to the ground and put out the fire.
On the deck, set a selenite stone (or a black tourmaline or a transparent quartz). It works well to leave it like way for an hour, but I prefer to leave it overnight.
Set them on display during a new moon. The New Moon is energy of a blank slate; you can purify the deck by setting it on a window sill on a new moon night. At this moment, you can also make a brand-new intention for your deck.
Place the cards in a salty dish. A strong and stabilizing cleaner is salt. My preferred choice for a thorough cleansing is this. Allow it to sit anywhere from one to eight hours in a dry area.
Unorderly shuffle. Spread the cards out on the ground, then shuffle them around like a child playing in dirt. This method’s freedom and randomization serve as an excellent reset.
the shuffle and sort. Set up the deck in rows of seven cards across, commencing with the Major Arcana numbers 0 to 22. (see photo above). Next, arrange the cards, Ace through King, one for each suit, as follows: Swords, Pentacles, Cups, and Wands. View the deck in this configuration, then mix everything up (like the chaotic!) and shuffle it thoroughly.
What number of oracle cards should I draw?
- Keep an open, receptive mind as you play the cards. Make sure you read for yourself in a calm environment where you can tune into your own energy.
- Consider where you may need some advice right now as you hold the cards in your hands. You’ll always receive the information you require at that precise time from your intuition. That implies that you can be surprised by the subject that comes to mind first. (If you’re reading for someone else, just focus on them while you shuffle the cards.)
- A deck can be shuffled in a few different ways. Personally, I enjoy shuffling cards until one stands out visibly or even flies out. Others may shuffle the cards until they feel inspired to stop and choose the top card in the deck.
- How many cards from a deck should you draw? Ask your instincts. Draw as few or as many cards as your available space will allow. Lay your card(s) face down on the surface in front of you after you’ve drawn them.
- One by one, turn them over. What do you initially deduce a card’s meaning to be for you or the person you are reading for? Our first intuitive insights are typically the most profound. Expect some of them to come as unexpected shocks, guidance, or newfound understanding.
- When looking at a card, if you don’t see a few hits right away, sit quietly for a few minutes and see what comes to the top.
Tarot cards may I mix them?
For its intuitive strategy, this is one of Matassa’s favorites; you might want to try shuffled your cards in a pile. She instructs, “Drop them on the floor and scatter them all over like fingerpaint.” For a freshly shuffled deck, mix everything together and put it all back together.