Because the left side is connected to intuitive and receptive energy, traditional tarot readers used their left hand to shuffle the cards. For similar reasons, some people think you should deal and shuffle tarot cards with your nondominant hand. I’ve never done this, though, because I can’t shuffle with one hand!
Apparently, it takes seven precise shuffles to get a completely random tarot deck, although in all honesty, you don’t have to follow that rule. As they focus on their query, some people prefer to shuffle their tarot deck a few times, while others prefer to shuffle for at least a minute. Use a non-traditional shuffling technique if it works for you. The most crucial step is to simply shuffle the cards.
In This Article...
Who is responsible for dealing the tarot cards?
Therefore, when we haphazardly shuffle the cards as a Knight of Pentacles is on the verge of jumping ship (or, you know, falling to the ground), we’re really just putting a little bit of ourselves into the mix. As a result, when we draw a card, it will give us a precise reading of what might be in store. By putting your trust in the divine power of your deck and allowing it to lead you, you can really infuse it with a kind of intuitive energy. The hand you choose to shuffle your deck may therefore influence when it comes to connecting with that higher power, at least in part.
“Because the left side is connected to feminine, intuitive, and receptive energy, card readers have always shuffled with their left hand. They were able to get genuine, exact celestial insight as a result.” A spiritual adviser is Alexis Alvarez.
Because the left side of the body is linked to feminine, intuitive, and receptive energy, card readers have traditionally dealt and shuffled the cards with their left hand, according to Alvarez. “They concurred that doing so enabled them to access authentic cosmic wisdom. Some people think you should shuffle and play with your weaker hand. Since the majority of people prefer using their right hand, shuffling still requires utilizing the left hand. However, if you are left-handed, your dominant hand would be your left.”
Can you shuffle tarot cards incorrectly?
Short answer: According to tarot reader and astrologer Bess Matassa, “there is literally no right or wrong approach.”
She argues that more intuitive methods of reading that stress leading with feeling have grown in popularity as tarot has developed over time. Therefore, there are numerous valid ways to shuffle in modern society. “Matassa advises shufflers to disregard preciousness in favor of pulsations. If you decide to keep your eyes open while you mix, just feel the weight of the cards in your hands and make navigational decisions based on touch or sight.”
Having said that, here are a couple to try if you want a more structured approach to shuffling.
Tarot cards fly out for what reason?
I adore proverbs with a witchy theme. They are a part of an oral tradition that most likely began when illiteracy rates among rural residents were high. Witches created rhymes and other catchy words to help people remember their rituals before they could record their spells in intricate grimoires.
I’ve never been able to determine where the adage first appeared “What hits the ground makes its way to the door, but I believe it’s a keeper. The statement is applied by tarot readers to cards that fly out of the deck during the shuffle, whether they “either touch the table or the floor. Jumping cards is most definitely a message to pay attention to if, like me, you see the tarot as an oracle and a doorway to a higher plane of awareness.
Why Do Tarot Cards Jump Out of the Deck?
Cards may jump as a result of luck, inexperienced handling, or subconscious energy transference from the reader.
When seasoned tarot readers manipulate their decks, they infuse the cards with energy and intention. Empaths are particularly adept at transferring energy, so if you belong to this mystical group, you should be aware of any strange occurrences when you shuffle the cards.
amateur tarot readers
Additionally, anxious clients who shuffle the deck before a reading are more likely to make poor shuffles that cause cards to fall to the table or floor. In spite of this, their jumpers shouldn’t be dismissed as “accidents.” Regardless of the shuffler’s skill, every card that leaves the deck needs to be recorded.
How Do Cards Jump?
A card can emerge from the deck in a number of ways. Jumper cards are ranked in the following order, from least to most significant:
- Several cards from the deck drop to the ground or the table. This mishap was probably just the result of a careless shuffle.
- Without any ceremony or drama, one card is dealt face-down to the tabletop.
- One card is dealt face-up and is placed on the table.
- From the deck, one card flips enthusiastically and lands face-up on the surface of the table. Please read this carefully, dear reader. Hey, says the greeting card. Observe me! I want to share something with you.
Methods to Deal with a Jumping Tarot Card
It takes a lot of honesty and trust to read the tarot, especially for someone else. Even if you’ve only recently met and even if you’re reading for yourself, take a moment to pause and focus into the vibes surrounding your relationship with the querent whenever a card jumps out of the deck during a shuffle.
From the most cautious to the most important, here are the six ways to deal with an escaped card:
- Reshuffle the deck after placing the card back in it as if nothing had happened.
- Make a mental note of the jumper, reshuffle it, and only pay attention to it if it reappears in the spread you laid.
- Lay your spread separately as usual, with the jumper face up on the table to the side. After that, assess whether the jumper has any bearing on the cards you laid. Only incorporate it into your reading if it “you and makes sense in the given situation.
- The jumper should serve as the signifier. Particularly in spreads that feature a card meant to represent the inquirer, such as Card 1 in the Celtic Cross spread, treat this card as the beginning point for the remainder of your reading by placing it in the first place.
- Think of the jumper as resetting the reading. The true question is frequently avoided by respondents out of fear. They are hesitant to discover their murkier, more hidden sides. Even though you are the one asking the question, there could be an opportunity to do so “Maybe the question you asked wasn’t quite the correct one. What exactly do you want to know?
- Give the jumper a reading of its own. Because they lack the context that comes from reading cards in connection to other cards, one-card readings are probably the most challenging. However, there are instances when the most challenging tasks are also the ones that are most important. Examine the sweater thoroughly and attentively. Really go to it! Take into account all the information you have available about this card, including conventional keywords, your own interpretation of the symbolism, color, and numerology. Ask yourself if the jumper card might be a communication from the afterlife if your belief system includes communicating with the spirit realm.
Tarot card reading is a practice rather than a craft that can be mastered. There are numerous factors that effect every reading, making them unique. Avoid putting too much restriction on your practice. To make every reading the most meaningful and pertinent experience possible, open your heart, intellect, and sixth sense. This includes paying attention to feisty cards that demand your attention.
Infuse the cards with your energy
Spend some time with your tarot deck to imbue it with your energy before you begin plucking cards. The creator of Soul Cards, Kristine Fredheim, advises giving them a good shuffle while imagining or stating your name and birthdate. You might also think about sleeping with your cards under your pillow if you want to get really close to them.
How are tarot cards purified?
Here are four simple steps to purifying tarot cards.
- Meditate. Simply unwind for a moment and get rid of all your thoughts.
- Pass each card through the smoke after burning sage.
- Place bay leaves within the deck of cards.
- And for protection, place a crystal on top.
How can I build a fresh deck of Tarot cards?
2. Position your deck during the New or Full Moon. Imagine the moon’s beams touching and anointing your brand-new deck if you think in the power of the moon. But if you’re from a place like the Philippines, you need to be careful! Moisture and unexpected downpours of rain can harm your priceless new cards. I occasionally place my deck near my window so that it has a slight outdoor sensation without being dangerous.
After some extensive use, this is a great way to “clear your deck.” It feels excellent to let the moon refresh your deck symbolically. You can also encircle your deck with your favorite stones if you have a collection of crystals.
3. Commence utilizing it for noteworthy events. A fresh deck may spice up any celebration, whether you choose to use it exclusively for Beltane or Ostara in accordance with the pagan Wheel of the Year, or you want to infuse your birthday with extra charm.
You might even limit the times when you utilize your deck. You may, for instance, create a special tarot deck exclusively for readings about the moon cycle or readings that entail shadow work.
On the other hand, I could use my recently acquired OG Starchild Tarot to inspire an altar full of celestial-themed accessories, including twinkle lights, crystals in luminous yellows, dark, night-sky blacks, and cool blues, a cloth decorated with constellations, and perhaps putting The Star card out and on display.
5. Put your brand-new tarot deck beneath your pillow as you sleep. Absolute superstition, this The night before a huge exam, I used to do this to simulate the information seeping into my subconscious (lol, reassure me that I’m not the only one). You can truly, physically bond and spend time with your tarot deck by sleeping with it beneath your pillow. And why not try it if you believe all that woo woo about images actually penetrating your subconscious?
Should the tarot reader shuffle the deck?
It all depends on your mindset. Tarot card shuffling should encourage a mindful or meditative state where you can consciously exit daily life and enter a more intuitive and perceptive mindset. It creates a pause before the tarot reading begins. Shuffling, silently plead for help, protection, and direction. Consider the questions you’re about to ask the tarot cards, or simply get yourself ready in silence. Make sure to switch your brain from “daily mode” into a more focused state of awareness, even if you don’t do anything else.
Should the faces of all of your tarot cards match?
There is no right or wrong way to interpret tarot cards, as anyone who knows me will attest.
The fact that I think there is no right or wrong way to shuffle your tarot deck also shouldn’t come as a surprise. It is not necessary to face all of the cards in the same direction, cut it sideways, or shuffle it seven times.
Seven times of shuffling a 78-card deck is the “Who has time for the ideal number of shuffles needed to distribute cards evenly? You can shuffle your deck as often or as little as you choose.
Either you or the person you are reading for can cut the cards. Or not. Although it actually doesn’t matter, it’s always pleasant to include others in the reading process if you are doing it for someone else.
It is time-consuming and useless to face the cards in the same direction. Simply flip the card to the upright position when you place it on the table if you decide not to read reversals.
Don’t feel obligated to send the cards back to their owner either “appropriate sequence following a reading. Until your next reading, they can sit tangled up in a mound, making new friends with the cards nearby.
When a tarot card is turned over, what does that mean?
It basically implies that you’re missing some of the energy of the card’s turned-right-side-up meaning when you draw a reversed tarot cardwhich can happen accidentally or on purpose if you flip the deck upside down and choosebecause you’ve lost some of the energy of that meaning. The queen of cups, for instance, denotes both excellent intuition and emotional security. Therefore, a reversed queen of cups could represent emotional insecurity and a blockage to intuition. (You might think about purchasing a tarot book or visiting a tarot website to confirm the precise significance of a reversed tarot card that you selected.)
You are free to select whether or not to interpret a card as a reversal. Maria Sofia Marmanides is a tarot reader.
According to astrologer and tarot reader Maria Sofia Marmanides, you are under no obligation to interpret reversed tarot cards when you are dealt them: “The choice of whether or not to interpret a card as a reversal is yours. You get to choose how you want to approach that trip because tarot is a very individualized discipline, and one of the things you can pick for yourself is whether or not you read reversals.” You’re learning various things depending on where in your tarot journey you are “Adds she. “In the beginning, it might be best to merely adhere to the upright meanings rather than the reversed ones. Why, if you don’t have to, would you want to increase the amount you need to learn?
What in tarot is a jumper?
I questioned whether I should add these cards to the list, but they are also the supplemental cards that enhance a query, a reading, or a spread. The card or cards that pop out of the deck during shuffling are referred to as “Jumpers.” Unsurprisingly, these cards frequently provide the solution to the query that has been circling in your head or in your mind’s conversation while you have been shuffling your cards.
There are occasions when a lot of cards come out at once. I don’t even bother to look at such cards because I assume that the shuffle was flawed. However, I typically peek when one to three cards start to fall out. They essentially provide the response to the query that has been circling in my mind as I have been dealing the cards. Even if I finish up creating a complex spread to address the issue at hand, the main message will still be what these Jumper cards have already made clear.